Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Sewing Taboo

I have one, inherited from mak.
"NEVER cut  fabric on Tuesday and Wednesday, avoid Friday and always cut the fabric on Monday and Thursday"
She says:
Tuesday and Wednesday: you might make mistakes during the cutting process which tend to destroy the fabric/the fitting of the garment or you make a lot of mistakes during the sewing phase which involve A LOT of unpicking or rrrripping....
Friday: since it is a blessing day, the cut fabric would remain cut fabric...
Monday and Thursday: none of the above, or in another word; SUCCESS!!!!!

:: first baju kurung in 2011, cut the fabric on Monday, sewn during CNY
:: first attempt of jahitan mata lalat; a malay variation of bullion embroidery on baju kurung neckline.
A bit wonky... but I like it.

:: second baju kurung, cut on Tuesday (Maulidur Rasul) and completed last night.
:: during sewing process, found that each of body panel was short of 3 cm, ahem....
:: WIP: a much better jahitan mata lalat

p.s. both baju kurung have pockets

8 comments:

NYKOLETT said...

Hi there...than u for sharing your mum's sewing taboo... in my line of work i cut materials everyday,mostly for curtains..and at times i do make mistakes.After reading your post i am beginning to think that maybe there are good and bad days for cutting...

faizlily said...

thank u for dropping by. some might say its a superstitious nonsense... sometimes i wonder its just applicable to people who sew irregularly like me and my mak :)... maybe not for people who sew sew regularly... because practise makes perfect.

Diah Rothman said...

Years ago when I started sewing I always abide this guide lines.... Found I was not so productive than.....Now, just du'a that each task, will get blessed by HIM.... InsyaAllah.

faizlily said...

Yes, kak DR... i also found it very unproductive, Monday is never good for me... dah penat balik keje, to wait until Thursday, penyakit M pun dtg...hehe. with du'a insya Allah it turn up okay. tq.

Aim Ila said...

aha..my mom always tell me the same thing. sometimes i kinda believe to that taboo.hehe..(bila kebetulan tersilap potong kain). btw, nice reading all ur posts.

Mila@Rimbun said...

I heard this from one of my friend long tme ago but I think its a bit of syirik if we do believe in all these.... a mistake is a mistake, we learned from it.. tq for sharing :)

faizlily said...

aimilia, thank u for dropping by... kalau balik kpg my mak suka tunjuk kain2 yg i potong tapi tak berjahit... dia kata i potong friday sbb tu berkat, bila mood nk menjahit dtg tengok saiz dah larik... haha

faizlily said...

Mila... tq for the peringatan...